Monday, December 10, 2012

Yong Huat

If I had eaten all that lard, I would have enough oil in my stomach to fry another plate of char kway teow.

Located opposite 112 Katong is this coffee shop aptly named Ali Baba Eating House- where your dreams of lard come true. Unlike many people, I don't eat lard. Not because I'm afraid of it clogging my arteries but because I don't really get a kick out of eating it.


I ordered Hokkien Mee ($4). The good thing about the dish is that for lard lovers, you will love love love this because the lard comes in crazy amounts. They are not stingy with their prawns, pork belly and sotongs at all and the chilli was tangy and just a little spicy. I also liked the flavour of the stock. I'm a huge supporter of Nam Sing but recently their food portion seems to be getting smaller.

The one thing that I don't like about the way this is cooked is that the garlic is chopped too coarsely. Chunky garlic bits are a big no-no for me.


I don't usually eat Char Kway Teow ($4) but since they are famous for it, I decided to try it. The sauce was sweet and had a strong wok hei taste. I don't eat enough CKT for me to determine whether this is better than a normal plate of CKT. Suffice to say, this was a decent plate of CKT.


The price is very reasonable for this amount of food. Lots of bonus points to the uncle and aunty manning the stall. They are super friendly. The aunty told me to get a seat while she cooked because she said it was hot to stand there waiting, and even told me not to sit by the roadside because it was very hot. Caring Hawkers of the Year 2012 goes to them!

Yong Huat 
125/127 East Coast Road
Tel No: 9630 1370 

0 comments:

Post a Comment