Monday, December 24, 2012

Tiong Bahru Bakery (Raffles City)

Every time I go out with this particular friend of mine, I think of how lucky I am to have known her. It's been exactly a decade since we knew each other! Another mutual close friend of ours is coming back from Australia next month after a few years of not being back in Singapore and I can't wait for our meetup. 

We went to Tiong Bahru Bakery at the Raffles City outlet which is strangely not as crowded as the Tiong Bahru one. This is probably due to the large seating capacity at this branch. 


I always get slightly stressed whenever I have to stand at the counter to order because I'm always paranoid that I will hold the queue up behind me. And this is precisely such a place. 


I decided to go with the Ham and Mozzarella Focaccia ($8). I kind of overestimated my appetite and thought one would not be enough. But this was absolutely filling for me. This focaccia was chewy and dense, unlike the one at Paris Baguette. The focaccia at Paris Baguette was one of the worst I had ever eaten. I like how the focaccia here has a mild herb taste. The first half of the meal was good but I got incredibly tired of eating it midway, perhaps because of the combined saltiness of the ham and the mozzarella cheese. 


Being the gullible patrons we were, we readily agreed to have the Kouign Aman ($3.50) when the girl at the counter recommended it to us, saying it was "freshly out of the oven". At first glance, I actually saw the words "Kofi Annan" instead. My eyesight, my eyesight. After some googling, I realise that it is of French origin and is pronounced as "queen a-mahn".

I was too full to truly enjoy this pastry which is made of salted butter and caramel. It had a flaky and crispy exterior and the caramel was a little sweet but still acceptable.


Food was decent although slightly overpriced. Nonetheless, we had a good time chilling the afternoon away.

Tiong Bahru Bakery (Raffles City)
Raffles City Shopping Centre
252 North Bridge Road
#B1-11/12
Tel: 6333 4160 

0 comments:

Post a Comment