Friday, December 16, 2011

Dreams and Reality: National Museum of Singapore

Disclaimer: I know nuts about paintings and art. Like, zilch. 

But, even then, I'm a strong believer that any form of art is good. So, a trip to the museum wouldn't hurt you. In fact, I think it will be not-very-smart to read this review, dismiss it and not visit the museum. For the very simple reason that this exhibition contains over 140 works (paintings, photographs and drawings) from Musee d'Orsay. You don't even need to book an air ticket to Paris to view these works- right at your door step. Don't wait till you miss it, then start to regret.


If you have the extra $$$ to spare and you enjoy music, I think it's worth it to go for Music at an Exhibition next January. Personally, I think it's overpriced ($48, including handling fee). However, it's worth it because it is by high profile and excellent artists such as Melvyn Tan, Dennis Lee + Toh Chee Hung, Albert Tiu and the T'ang Quartet.

Just like how you have perfect wine and cheese pairings, I think art and music have their perfect pairings as well. The works performed are those which are closely connected to the Impressionist movement. The most prolific composers of them will be featured, including Debussy and Ravel. I think some things come with age and this impressionistic flavour slowly grew on me although I didn't really appreciate them in my younger days.


I'm embedding Debussy's Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun and Clair de Lune, just to give you a flavour of what you'll be looking at. There are many great impressionistic works out there, and a simple google + youtube search will give you a better idea. Composers such as Liszt and Bizet will also be performed at the museum.





I found this rather captivating the first time I saw it. I'm the kind of person who can't appreciate art pieces and I'll just hover around those that capture my eyes. This is the Young Woman on the Beach by Philip Wilson Steer. If only art works speaks to me like music does. Till then, I'd appreciate it if somebody can enlighten me on how best to appreciate art!


This is an impressionistic piece by Monet, Regatta at Argenteuil.


Saving the best for the last, the very familar picture- Starry Night by Van Gogh. Won't it be cool if they performed Starry, Starry Night by Don McLean as one of the musical works?


If you are a kid (6 years and below- although unlikely since you're reading this blog), senior citizen (Singaporean and PR 60 years old and above), student (with valid student pass), it's free for you. So, there's no excuse for you. If you do not belong to the category, entrance fee is only $11 and you get to see the rest of the exhibitions in the museum as well. Never too late to step into a museum! And just to remind you, if you have the spare cash to spare, go in January for the music+art pairing! It will definitely be an unforgettable experience!


Dreams and Reality
Masterpieces of Painting, Drawing and Photography from the Musee d'Orsay, Paris
National Museum of Singapore
93 Stamford Road
Singapore 178897

0 comments:

Post a Comment