Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Restoran Oversea 海外天 (Kuala Lumpur)

I'm clearly on a roll today with the number of blog posts today. But for people who enjoy writing, I think they understand what a writing addiction means. And the only reason why I have been so short of blog posts for the past month is due to an evil thing (not necessarily a necessary evil) called exams. Now that exams have ended, it's time for some play and some serious (?) writing.

Several people have recommended this place called 海外天 for some good chinese food. The servers in the restaurant are all slightly old. I suspect they must have been here since the establishment of the restaurant.




This restaurant is well known for its BBQ pork. So good that people go to KL just to eat the BBQ pork. It doesn't come cheap either. The plate that you see below costs 20 ringgit (around $8) when you probably can get it cheaper at other char siew stalls. So does the char siew really live up to its name?

You see, the thing is that my eating philosophy is that I should eat good food only and eat good food for as long as I live. Therefore, I normally remove excessively fatty parts because I don't want my arteries to clog up. I also remove charred stuff because I don't want to eat carcinogenic stuff. Call me kiasi (check the singlish dictionary if you don't understand what it means) for all you want. But I think I would rather eat a little more healthily and enjoy good food for the rest of my life than to have a few good moments now and regret it for the rest of my life.

Anyway, so the char siew here was both of the above traits mentioned- fatty and charred. I think people who enjoy eating the char siew here enjoy it precisely for the fats. The marinate was pretty good, but think clearly whether you are/are not a fat eater. That should be your sole determination as to whether you'd like to come here to have a meal. The 烧肉 here was VERY crispy. and i do mean VERY. So it crunches in your mouth and go KIAK KIAK KIAK. A little salty though, that's the trade off for crispy skin. But not bad overall.


We also ordered a plate of tofu which was nothing spectacular.


This was macadamia nuts with some unknown vegetable that I don't eat, so I shall not comment further.


Overall, this place is decently priced. We spent around 80 ringgit ($32) in total for three dishes. Apparently there is good coconut pudding as well but it was not available the day we were there. If you like good fatty BBQ pork, you should come here! But this is an obligatory reminder- eat the fats in moderation or health problems might plague you later on! I know I'm being a wet blanket, but better be safe than sorry! 

Restoran Oversea 海外天
84-88 Jalan Imbi
Bukit Bintang
Kuala Lumpur

0 comments:

Post a Comment