Saturday, September 3, 2011

House of Soon Tofu (Toronto)

Once upon a time, I ended up at a place which looked like Korea, felt like Korea and even tasted of Korea. But it was not Korea. Time and time again, I marvel at how the country can contain so many ethnic communities- Greektown, Koreatown, Little Italy, Chinatown etc. There were rows and rows of shops selling Korean stuff and a rather large Korean supermarket.


I went to House of Soon Tofu because reviews stated that it was cheap and delicious. Apparently, there's some kind of rivalry with Buk Chang Dong tofu somewhere nearby.

I went rather early, so there were still plenty of seats. By the time I left, the place was FULL of old korean ladies, catching up on their daily gossip. My indicator of whether a place serves true authentic food is whether people of the nationality go there for the food. If I were in any country and was served substandard Singaporean food, I'd rather not go.

So you get served with dishes of appetiser first. I love kimchi because of the sour taste. The tofu was a little too salty for me, but everything added up to be very appetising, all the gastric juices start to flow!

So here's the highlight of the show. The renowned tofu soup, served with a stone bowl of rice. I actually can't remember the taste now and therefore shall not cook up some review just to hoodwink people. But one thing I do remember, is that after eating it, I felt so warm. Might have been spicy, I can't remember. The rice is multi-grain by the way. Healthy food seems to be the focus here.


After I stepped out of the place, I was rubbing my hands in glee and feeling so good for a good meal. And this place is inexpensive, around 6-8 CAD (can't remember the exact figure) For that amount of food, plus good service plus feel good feeling after having a good meal, it makes me feel like life is complete with a bowl of hot soup in chilly weather!

p.s. Do yourself a favour by hopping over to Hodo Kwaja after that!

House of Soon Tofu
681 Bloor St W
Toronto, ON M6G 4B9

0 comments:

Post a Comment