Sunday, August 21, 2011

Tonkotsu King

I think ramen is a matter of acquired taste, and I seem not to have acquired the taste for the authentic ramen yet. My whole life, I've been eating ramen cooked by Chinese cooks, and never by the Japanese themselves. (read: Ajisen Ramen)

So, after visiting Bario Ramen (here's the review), I wasn't exactly sure if I was ready for more authentic ramen. It just seems counterintuitive that while everybody is raving about the food, I'm here being a sour grape and wondering why the food just doesn't appeal to my tastebuds.

Anyway, so we decided to get to Tonkotsu King for some ramen today.

The place is very small, with seating capacity of around 20+. The background had some japanese music playing, and they had random pictures and household items around the place. The servers were friendly and polite.

When you are first seated, you will have a motar and pestle like thing to grind some sesame seeds. There are also free hard boiled eggs, seasoned beansprouts, which you're supposed to add it as accompaniment to the ramen. You will then have the option to tick on a sheet of paper how you would like your noodles- less oil, hard/soft noodles etc.

I ordered the black spicy tonkotsu ramen with seaweed. Despite asking for less oil, the oil floating was still pretty visible. Luckily, the ramen didn't taste oily despite looking so. The char siew had a nice chewy texture to it. My gripe with the ramen here is that the soup is a little too salty for my liking. There was also black fungus.

At the end of the day, I can't say that I like this ramen a lot. But I insist that it's a matter of personal preference, and that I have yet to acquire the authentic ramen taste. The price range is around $10-$15, before GST and service charge.

If you want to go here, a tip for you is to go before 2 pm. They close their doors once their broth runs out.

Tonkotsu King
1 Tras Link
#01-19 Orchid Hotel
Tel: +65 66360855

0 comments:

Post a Comment