Friday, June 24, 2011

Singapore: Tutu Kueh


The amount of grievances I have with regard to bad tutu kueh can fill a book- The flour is too hard, the flour is not fluffy, the filling inside is pathetic, and most importantly, the cost of tutu kueh has increased over the years! I know it best because I have been eating tutu kueh for as long as I can remember. It used to be 5 for $2, now it's now $2.50 or $2.80 for a box of 5.

But still, I love good tutu kueh even though it's now more expensive. Tutu kueh is made from rice flour or glutinous flour. It is filled with either shredded coconut or ground peanut. I normally go for the shredded coconut! It is then placed on pandan leaf for that added aroma.

It's quite difficult to tell where the good tutu kuehs are. The problem is that those selling tutu kuehs normally have some makeshift stall, because they only need one tutukueh machine. I have tried many atrocious tasting tutu kuehs, but there are a few good ones, including the one at the basement of Junction 8. But here are a few well-known permanent stores:

Jia Xiang Tu Tu Kueh
Beo Crescent Food Centre
38A Beo Crescent, 169982

Tan's Tutu Coconut Cake
Block 449 Clementi Avenue 3, #01-211

0 comments:

Post a Comment